Ingredients for covering:
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. clarified butter/Ghee
- 1 ¼ cup water
Ingredients for stuffing:
- 1 cup fresh grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp. chopped Cashew Nuts
- 1 tsp. Poppy seeds (khuskhus)
- ¼ tsp. green cardamom powder
- ½ cup grated Jaggery
- ½ tsp. Ghee
For sweet stuffing:
- Heat ghee in non-stick pan on low flame.
- Add grated fresh coconut and jaggery.mix well and jaggery will starts melt.
- Then add poppy seeds, cashew nuts and green cardamom powder and mix.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes and keep stirring this mixture till the moisture evaporated. Mixture should be dry.
- Switch off the heat and keep aside to cool.
For Modak outer cover:
- In a pan add water and salt. Keep it on low flame.
- Let it boil. As it starts boiling add ghee and mix.
- Now add rice flour gradually and quickly stir. Make sure there should no lumps.
- Keep stirring till rice flour mix well with water.
- Turn off the flame. Cover a pan with lid and keep aside for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Take the dough in a bowl. Knead the dough by applying some water on your palm. Make lump free dough.
- Make lemon sized equal balls from the dough.
Method for making Modak:
- Apply ghee on your palms and take a ball from the dough.
- Slightly press with fingers and shape into form of 3 to 4 inch diameter flatten disc.
- In the center, place the sweet filling.
- Fold and pinch the edges of circular disc. Bring together all the edges and seal it.
- Shape all modak this way and place it on a plate.
Steaming Ukadiche Modak:
- Heat the steamer and let water come to boil.
- Place a muslin cloth on steamer plate and arrange all modak leaving enough space around.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes on medium heat.
- After steaming remove and place them on a plate.
- Ukadiche modak are ready, drizzle ghee on modak.